Tuesday, July 12, 2011

First Assignment

Before the trip starts I wanted you to read a few articles and get your response to them. Over the last few months I have been tagging articles in the popular press on Arctic Ecology and Global climate change. Most have been coming from Science Daily News, and Canadian media outlets etc.

For this first assignment I want to you look at two issues. First a brief review of the community we will be visiting. I want you to get a sense of the history of this place. Considering the European contact started in 1610, Churchill has a long history in Canada. Read the tagged articles at http://www.delicious.com/doug.isaak and give me a summary of what your reaction is to the place. I have tagged the wikipedia article with "Churchill" tag. If you search my delicious site for that you will find it. I am looking for a personal response to the place. Don't present facts but tell me about perhaps what you are expecting to see.

If you are unfamiliar with delicious.com, you can just click on one of the tags on the right hand side of the page and it will bring up all the articles tagged by me. Follow the link to the article.

The second part of this assignment is to review at least 5 articles on climate change or arctic ecology that I have tagged at the same above website. It doesn't matter which web pages you review but include the web page reference to the web page in your discussion. You can stick to a theme if you wish (i.e. animals, ice, etc.) Give a brief summary of the article and give your personal response whether you agree or disagree with it or its possible implications. No more than a paragraph per article.

Please have this completed before the trip and emailed to me. If this will be a problem please contact me for alternate arrangements.

No comments:

Post a Comment